Monday, December 1, 2014

Profoundness

I'm using a Anna-and-Rachel word here: profound.
I don't read the Bible every day, as much as want to. Using a kindle makes it difficult to open to a random page and read. I found a paper one today, and have been reading Psalms 106.
At first it didn't make sense to me- a record of what all happened in the Old Testament, meaning a bunch of good, losing sight, getting kidnapped and punished, repenting, whatnot. then I flipped back one, and a verse blared out at me:
Praise the LordGive thanks to the Lord for he is good; his love endures forever.

That slightly confused me. The rest of it was a ton of verses like "So he gave them what they asked for, but sent a wasting disease", and "The earth opened up and swallowed Dathan…". It doesn't paint a picture of the kind ad loving God I know. It reminds me of a C.S. Lewis line: "'Of course he isn't safe.'" Then, however, it next says this: "'But he's good.'" Verses 44-45 say this:
44But he took note of their distress when he heard their cry; 45For their sake he remembered his covenant and out of his great love he relented. 
 God seems to me like a parent. What child sits in time out and believes their mom or dad when they say that they punish them for the child's good? In this case, the writer realizes how God really is doing it for the good of Israel… and out of his great love, spares them the oppression that they all too easily could have faced. It's like, whoa.
 I remember a verse in Proverbs: The one who loves  discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid. 
Through punishment, we learn what not to do. While we might not like it, we learn what we have to remember, and how we have to live.
I know that there are readers that aren't Christian, but please still read this blog! These are life lessons, I suppose...
Anyway, this one has been long too... Oh, well. Can't really be helped now.


And an update: I'm nearly finished with the outline, so I should be able to turn it in soon! :D 

















1 comment:

  1. woah, i guess i forgot to read this one when it first came out, but now that im re-reading some of your posts, ive found this one is Awesome!

    ReplyDelete