Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Amara 4

March 30, 2014
Northmere

I have been camped for a week here, along with Desdemona, and about fifty other (human) Elite Officers.
Thats right: not even a month after my arrival, I was promoted to Captain. Captain Amara Lingliss- perfect.
The old women of Sriya warned us, saying that pride goes before a fall, but I can hardly think of that at a time like this.
Still, I am starting to have conflicted feelings. Yes, you heard that right!
In battle, I killed a man. I have never done that before. I still remember his face as he went down, the anguished scream, the shallow breaths he took as he lay there, dying.
I will never be able to get those images out of my head, but I swore something that may help.
I will protect someone in every battle I fight, and keep them from the pull of death. If I do not, life is forfeit. If he dies, forfeit.
I must do this, else I be unable to live with the guilt. Why did I join them, anyway? Why do some people love fighting? It strips humanity away from a person, leaving them a lunatic.
I shall not kill again.
Amara 

No comments:

Post a Comment