Saturday, May 3, 2014

Alíenor 3

3
I worked harder then ever in those days, sometimes even serving the ladies of the court.
Being around them gave me opporitunity to learn of gossip. Normally it was dull- who was seeing who, who the duke  would marry- but one day, I learned something.
"Remember Lady Aenor? I wonder where she is."
I stiffened. My mother had been part of the court, before she left to marry my father.
"Oh, yes- the poor sweet child. She died giving birth to her second: didn't you know?"
Second? I did not have an older brother or sister.
"She was my best friend. I do miss her!"
"You knew my mother?" I clapped my hand over my mouth-I could be expelled!
The oldest spoke. "What was that, child? It is fine to talk."
"You-you knew Lady Aenor. My mother. Please tell me about her!"
I was traveling on thin ice- servants were not to ask questions much less give orders!
And meawhile the ladies stared.

No comments:

Post a Comment