Friday, May 9, 2014

Alíenor 9

9
"Alíenor. Good. You are early." Lord Ayr spoke to me with a mocking tone. It was all I could do but restrain myself from strangling the boy.
"My lords," I murmured with my head down.
"This is Laird Arisaig. He is from Llyn Idwal."
"Yes sir." I had not straightened from my curtsy, and I stared at the floor, but I could feel his eyes on me. In the future, that could be a problem.
No one spoke until a few other servants had trickled in.
"Servants- Laird Arisaig is looking for another lady for the court of Llyn Idwal."
So it was true!
"He shall choose one of you to go with him and his wife back, and you shall join the court there. Rags to riches and all that. Line up!"
We hastened to do his bidding, and the Laird walked up and down in front of us. I tried to keep my lip from trembling, but I had a revelation first. What if I learned more, and notified the rebels of Iona? It was a stretch, but it was possible.
I looked up, and smiled. He stopped.
"You are...?"
"Alíenor, my lord."
"Age?"
"Thirteen, nearly fourteen."
He asked several more questions, all of which I answered, before moving to the next person. His eyes were on me, and I knew, but said nothing.
Finally, he turned back to the duke. "I have decided on a girl, but I want you to guess. She is a beautiful girl, yet younger than fifteen."
I held my breath- if I was chosen, my future could easily go both ways.
"And her name is..."
I stiffened.
"Lady Alíenor of Llyn Idwal."

No comments:

Post a Comment