5
"Well, if she was such a wonderful person there must have been a reason- right?"
"Child, never say that! I agree with you, but you will be dismissed if you are heard. Lord Ayr has spies, you know."
I pried them for more information, but they held fast, not even giving me one more bit.
By the time I had to leave, I wanted to wring their necks in frustration. They were my parents! Even as a lowly maidservant, did I not have the right to know?
Lady Elvira had invited me to her quarters that night, and I was rather excited.
I dressed in my best clothing (still worn and filthy), attempted to brush my hair, and walked to her quarters.
"Madame? I am here!"
We sat down in a glass-windowed area, and chatted amiably. I convinced her to give me a last bit of memories, and it was shocking:
"Your father- he was executed for speaking against the Council."
"Well, if she was such a wonderful person there must have been a reason- right?"
"Child, never say that! I agree with you, but you will be dismissed if you are heard. Lord Ayr has spies, you know."
I pried them for more information, but they held fast, not even giving me one more bit.
By the time I had to leave, I wanted to wring their necks in frustration. They were my parents! Even as a lowly maidservant, did I not have the right to know?
Lady Elvira had invited me to her quarters that night, and I was rather excited.
I dressed in my best clothing (still worn and filthy), attempted to brush my hair, and walked to her quarters.
"Madame? I am here!"
We sat down in a glass-windowed area, and chatted amiably. I convinced her to give me a last bit of memories, and it was shocking:
"Your father- he was executed for speaking against the Council."
Whoa, drama!!
ReplyDeleteAnd it only gets better...
Delete